Skip to main content

Other legal issues in Housing


Includes information on helping specific types of clients with housing issues, and foreclosure.

What the client may say:
  • "I’ve complained about my neighbour’s noise but my landlord says he/she can’t do anything about it."
  • "I live in rent-geared-to-income (RGI) housing and got a letter saying my rental subsidy could end."

Legal Services


Connects low to middle income individuals with legal professionals – lawyers, mediators and paralegals- who have agreed to work at a reduced rate. In order to use JusticeNet, individuals must make a net family income that is no higher than $59,000 per year.

Law Society Referral Service

Provides the name of a lawyer or paralegal who best fits a person’s stated needs. The service is not designed to provide legal advice or second opinions.

Ottawa Legal Information Centre

Offers legal information services, such as general explanations regarding the law and other legal topics, and is not authorized to provide legal advice or legal assistance.

Reach Canada

Educates and informs persons with disabilities, family members, lawyers and the general public about the rights and interests of persons with disabilities and ensures that quality legal and social representation is provided. Provides lawyer referral services for people with disabilities through a network of lawyers who volunteer.

Other Services

Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority

The Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority (RHRA) is responsible for administering the Retirement Homes Act, 2010 (the Act), which includes licensing and regulating retirement homes on behalf of the government of Ontario. We are an independent, self-funded, not-for-profit corporation, committed to the protection and wellbeing of seniors living in retirement homes.

Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario (ACTO)

Works to better the housing situation of Ontario residents who have low incomes including tenants, co-op members and people who are homeless. 

Centre for Equality Rights in Accommodation (CERA)

Works towards ending discrimination and promoting human rights in housing matters. Provides summary advice free of charge on human rights protections under the Ontario Human Rights Code.

Investigation and Enforcement Unit - Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing

Investigates and enforces the rights of tenants under the Residential Tenancies Act.

Real Estate Council of Ontario

The Real Estate Council of Ontario is responsible for regulating real estate professionals in the province on behalf of the Ontario government. We protect the public interest through a fair, safe and informed marketplace.  This agency handles Realtor complaints.

Steps to Justice