Includes discrimination based on race, colour, or ethnic background; religious beliefs or practices; ancestry; sex (including pregnancy and gender identity); disability; sexual orientation; or age.
Some indicators of legal issues
What the clients may say:
- "I went to the emergency room with severe chest pains, but the nurses were more interested in my mental health history."
- "My Aboriginal child was kicked out of the mall after a security guard asked for identification. His/her white friends weren’t hassled by security at all."
- "I have limited vision and need to record my college lectures, but my professor won’t let me."
- "I was asked to leave a restaurant when I started to breastfeed my baby."
- "My dentist says my appointments must be at the end of the day because I have HIV."
Legal Services and Information
|Ontario Legal Information Centre||COVID-19 (May 7, 2020): Centre will no longer offer its services in person for the time being * legal information services remain available by telephone…|
|Reach Canada - Equality and Justice for People With Disabilities - Reach Canada - Equality and Justice for People With Disabilities||COVID-19 (July 12, 2021): Reach's Legal Referral program is accepting calls from clients with disabilities in Ottawa and the Champlain region who require legal assistance. Referrals…|
|Council on Aging of Ottawa (The)||Advocacy group on seniors' issuesVolunteer opportunitiesVolunteer-run committees meet to discuss the following seniors issues: Age-Friendly Ottawa: group working with the City of Ottawa, community partners,…|
|Psychiatric Patient Advocate Office||Administers and coordinates advocacy and rights advice services public information systemic advocacy information and referral for those ineligible for the service literature in English and…|
|Legal Line||Free legal answers covering 2,100 topics on provincial and federal laws available by website referrals publishes legal guides and Your Guide to Canadian Law|