Skip to main content

Death and inheritances


What the client may say:
  • "My partner died without a will. Now I’m having financial troubles because our bank accounts are in his/her name only."
  • "I know that I have inherited something from my common-law partner, but the family member responsible for settling his/her affairs refuses to speak with me."
  • "My friend asked me to be an executor or personal representative, but I don’t know what that means."
  • "I want to make plans so that my disabled child’s care continues after I die."

Legal Services

HIV & AIDS Legal Clinic Ontario (HALCO)

Provides free legal services to people in Ontario who are living with or affected by HIV/AIDS.


Connects low to middle income individuals with legal professionals – lawyers, mediators and paralegals- who have agreed to work at a reduced rate. In order to use JusticeNet, individuals must make a net family income that is no higher than $59,000 per year.

Law Society Referral Service

Provides the name of a lawyer or paralegal who best fits a person’s stated needs. The service is not designed to provide legal advice or second opinions.

Ottawa Legal Information Centre

Offers legal information services, such as general explanations regarding the law and other legal topics, and is not authorized to provide legal advice or legal assistance.

Reach Canada

Educates and informs persons with disabilities, family members, lawyers and the general public about the rights and interests of persons with disabilities and ensures that quality legal and social representation is provided. Provides lawyer referral services for people with disabilities through a network of lawyers who volunteer.